There’s nothing like a new cookbook to inspire some culinary creations! Last weekend, a good friend let us borrow a cookbook–this one from ‘SkinnyTaste’ to be exact. Since then, I’ve been keeping a solid supply of mangos and avocados in the house to cook with. (Pick up the book and you’ll pick up the theme) I had half of avocado leftover from a recipe over the weekend and as luck would have it, there was a rather yummy looking cookie recipe in SkinnyTaste that included avocados (who ever thought to put avocados in cookies??)
I followed the general outline of the SkinnyTaste recipe but altered it a bit based on the ingredients I had and my overall preference. Here it is– Double Chocolate Chunk Pecan Cookies
1. Whisk the sugar, avocado, egg and vanilla.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 + 1 T mashed avocado
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
2. Add the dry ingredients to the mixed up wet ingredients and blend thoroughly. Add the chocolate chips and pecans last.
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup white flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
3. Spoon little cookies (roughly the size of a half-dollar) onto a cookie tray. I was able to fit 15 small cookies on one cookie tray. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes until slightly firm. Let cool.
Given the RICH chocolate goodness of these cookies, I would strongly suggest enjoying them with a glass of milk and a serving of fresh strawberries. (You wouldn’t regret the decision!)